Friday, December 24, 2010

Sample Solisitation Letter

Smiles that cheer the soul (for Christmas) Robes


- I do not like Christmas! Makes me so sad obligation to be happy.
"I understand your mood. That happened to me as I felt the same feeling the day I found out that wrestling was fictitious.

These phrases are part of the conversation between "Rafaelillo" and "Manolo the Mellao" this afternoon in the pub "The Mosquito", when I went to grab a snack and say hello to my friend John. Is December 24 and on this date everything is imbued with Christmas cards, invitations from friends, gifts, family reunions, hurry and stress that nothing be forgotten for Christmas Eve dinner. All that does not correspond to the Christmas celebration is free of ownership on this day.

Rafaelillo is nearing retirement, is a silversmith, as we say in my town who are dedicated to the craft of jewelry, and has no family, at least no close relative with whom he relates. Manolo is almost a decade younger and, unlike Rafaelillo, your family is larger. The nickname "Mellao" comes from young, when I practiced boxing. He played two matches when he started and both shook a great time, every one of them lost a tooth and that was the trigger that encouraged him to hang up his gloves forever.

I, personally, I do not like Christmas. In a way I provoke rejection, and like to Rafaelillo make me feel sad, not because they lack family to share it, thankfully, although not very extensive, yes I have family with whom to share the good and bad that happens to me. We see almost daily and do not need a special day to meet everyone.

long ago that Christmas disappoints me, I do not believe in that false message of peace, love and brotherhood among human beings has become part of utopia that I accept as impossible. The holiday spirit never goes beyond the sensitivity that causes that drive you want to become humanitarian revolution ever happens to be a mere attempt. A spirit that does not last longer than it takes to collect all the bright ornaments, wreaths and lighting balls, to keep and dusted the following year.

Christmas has become more cruel example of unbridled consumerism, these parties are nothing without their advertising icons each year dressed in red with beards and long hair white, with or without reindeer, with or without sled. Distant are the days where the parties were limited to the dinner on 24 and 25 next, not like today, that every year there are motifs that herald more days in advance, and November is when they start dressing the windows of confetti and Christmas symbols, marked on the glass with artificial snow sprays.

The truth is that, could not help and at times one is infected by the false and forced happiness, but have nothing to do with those feelings that swept over me in childhood. Were other times and other circumstances, was another pure vision the world, as that any child can have today. In the context of my childhood Christmas ads did not fit, there were no means to disseminate them, except the radio, or money to acquire them, and, of course, had nothing to do with the Magi and their gifts. The Christmas of my childhood was poor in gifts and toys and rich in imagination and collective spirit. Village streets smelled of home-made sweets in each house, fritters, butter, sandwich cookies, fried donuts, donuts of wine ... A anise and cinnamon, sweet anise brandy and lapilli bracero from burning under the round table of every home to heat the cold of winter.

groups young and old musical instruments were assembled improvised carol pace and visited each household, asking for the bonus, which consisted of nothing but a glass of anisette for the elderly or Christmas candy for children. Rattles, zambombas, tambourines, mortars, dishes ... Rudimentary orchestras angelic voices be heard as an echo in every corner of town. I do not remember Christmas Eve dinner more special than usual, remember the atmosphere created around that date and the stories my grandmother told us on Christmas morning, when everyone ran to wake up, my cousins \u200b\u200band I to mess with her bed.

But in reality, it makes me sad that Christmas has nothing to do with the disenchantment of a childhood far away and lost, rather by what means this celebration in many households, and many people do not even have a home to host them tonight so significant, or are alone, without family to share it, as happens to Rafaelillo and many other people in the world, sick, elderly, immigrants and other groups who suffer or are unhappy for some or other causes.

I guess, like me, all the adults we will find these celebrations as an exercise required to renew that spirit of generosity and altruism, not a date you feel excited, but sad for the many who are not eligible for this right to be happy even for a single night.

At the heart of the festival is childhood, children, those who actually absorb the purity of this conclusion, at least it is they who are left over mark, meaning it will mark them for life, even after of disenchanted and accept Christmas as another of the impossible utopias. For this reason is that I want to wish happy holidays to children, especially those who suffer from illness and that despite his health conditions every day give us their smiles to cheer the soul, smiles are worth more than Christmas itself .

Congratulations to all children in the Hospital Infantil La Mascota, Managua, and the association BATNA (Parents of Children with Leukemia and Cancer in Nicaragua). Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment